A Message from our Volunteer Coordinator
It's time to get ready for Spooky Science! This event runs every Friday and Saturday in October from 4-9 pm.
We need help in areas such as...
Spiders: Oversee craft, engage with visitors
Salamanders: Pass out/collect flashlights, engage with visitors
Atoms: Monitor exhibit, engage with visitors for hands on activities
Germs: Engage with visitors, ensure visitors enter through cave as leaving event
Amazing Garden: Reset toys/activities, engage with visitors and animals
Magical Muck: Helping children make slime
Fairy House: helping children make fairy houses out of bark, moss, sticks, etc
Insect Masks: Help kids make masks
Visitors Center: Register, answer phone
Admissions: Greet, take admissions, handout program
Ground Rovers: Oversee all areas, lights, supply runs, etc
We are hoping to have volunteers from 3:30-9:30 pm. If you are only able to do a half shift, those will be 3:30-6:30 pm and 6:30-9:30 pm.
Please consider helping Beech Creek Gardens with your time this fall season!
Email me with any questions or to sign up to volunteer.
Are you a college student or high school grad looking for a unique internship experience? Beech Creek Gardens has a lot to offer you and can help you improve your skills, making you more desirable to future employees. We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that also functions like a for-profit company in certain ways, so by interning with us, you're getting the best of both worlds. We are also continuing to grow and innovate, so your contributions have the opportunity to create a lasting impact on our organization. Our internships consist of a flexible schedule, casual work environment, and amazing coworkers! You may complete the internship for college credit or as a volunteer experience.
Available internships are listed below.
Please apply via Indeed or Handshake (follow the specific links in each individual description).
Marketing & Communications
Marketing / Public Relations (2021 summer semester)
Marketing / Public Relations Internship (2021 summer semester)
This internship position will assist the Marketing Director with developing and implementing a marketing strategy. The candidate must be prepared to commute to Beech Creek Gardens for all shifts (the candidate will mostly be working in an office with only two other employees who are both fully vaccinated). This internship is for credit only, or may be completed as a volunteer experience.
The Marketing / Public Relations Intern may be responsible for assisting the Marketing Director with the following tasks:
- In general, work that is focused on writing, networking, administrative tasks, and overall marketing strategy.
- Submit event information to online event calendars, magazines, news, and tourism publications.
- Write, edit, and publish press releases, event descriptions, web copy, ad copy, etc.
- Attend occasional community outreach, networking, and tourism events as schedule allows.
- Suggest ways to improve the organization’s digital and print marketing collateral to help achieve marketing objectives.
- Implement big-picture marketing initiatives by researching and pursuing new and creative avenues of connecting with audiences and forming marketing collaborations.
- Maintain the organization's participation in ongoing collaborative projects.
- Apply search engine optimization (SEO) techniques to improve the search authority of the website, event listings, social media pages, Google listing, and other digital properties.
- Gather, analyze, and report audience information and demographics.
- Respond to customer reviews on various websites, such as Google, Yelp, Trip Advisor, etc.
- Develop a marketing plan to maximize revenue growth through audience development.
- Assist with Visitor Center operations related to marketing and sales, such as helping manage event registrations, point-of-sale software, and the online store system, and suggest ways to improve the customer shopping/visitor registration experience.
- Adhere to current brand guidelines and assist with additional brand development.
Administrative Assistance (as needed)
- Answer and return phone calls.
- Assist visitors in the Visitor Center or on the grounds.
Skills & Abilities
- Strong ‘people person’—sensitivity to interpersonal interactions with program participants, visitors, staff, volunteers, other interns, and external organizations with whom we collaborate, with the ability to act proactively to ensure good relations between all.
- Enthusiastic and energetic, with the physical ability to quickly navigate all areas of Beech Creek Gardens.
- Must be willing to serve all visitors equally regardless of their age, disability, national origin, religious belief, race/color, gender identity and/or sexual orientation.
- Strong written skills are essential to this position with a high level of accuracy and attention to details.
- High standards, excellent organizational skills, and the ability to manage multiple projects at a time and accurately follow instructions.
- Able to work independently to organize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Able to provide excellent customer service both online and in-person.
- Positive attitude, willingness to succeed, and represents Beech Creek Gardens in a professional manner.
- Willing to be a part of the staff with openness, honesty, care and use clear communication skills.
- Must be adaptable, open-minded, flexible, and willing to learn new programs and new methods of completing tasks.
- Pursuing a degree in marketing, public relations, communications, or related field preferred.
- Previous office or customer service experience helpful.
- Needs the ability to quickly learn and work with new software.
- Should be acquainted with standard office technology.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint) and Google programs (Docs, Sheets, Drive).
- Must own personal laptop that can be used for this work.
Please submit an application with resume through Indeed or apply on Handshake by searching job ID 4890234.
Be prepared to upload samples of your work if you have it, including a sample of your writing abilities, such as a press release, blog article, journalism story, etc. and if you have it, a sample of your marketing experience, such as a marketing plan, SWOT analysis, PowerPoint presentation created for a class project, etc. and please disclose what your role was in the submitted sample.
Beech Creek Botanical Garden & Nature Preserve provides equal employment and volunteer opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
Social Media Marketing (2021 fall semester)
Fall 2021 semester internship description coming soon.